Thursday, September 15, 2011

Doughbot


UPDATE: DOUGHBOT HAS CLOSED


Now that I'm writing this blog, people tell me about all sorts of restaurants offering vegan options that I might not have heard about otherwise.  For example, over the weekend, I ran into a couple of friends and during the course of the conversation, I mentioned the blog. 

"Oh, you should check out Doughbot," I was told.

Doughbot?  I had never even heard of it.  Turns out it's a new doughnut shop that just opened September 3rd near the corner of 10th and W, and they sell vegan doughnuts and fritters!  Believe me, I was there the next morning!

Not being an early riser, I didn't arrive at Doughbot until about 11:15, so they were out of most of their vegan doughnuts.  Apparently, they're very popular with the folks who patronize the Sunday morning farmers' market a couple of blocks away.  But they still had some vegan chai and vegan lemon-glazed doughnuts left, so I bought one of each.  They tasted a little different than my memories of doughnuts past, but they were still delicious and I devoured them in no time.

The main thing I missed by not arriving earlier, apparently, was the chance to experience Doughbot's blueberry fritters, which were highly recommended by the young woman working the counter.  I'll be sure to try one of those if they're available on my next visit.

Doughbot is located at 2226 Tenth Street, and their phone number is 916-444-5157.  Their website (http://doughbotdonuts.com/) is still very much under construction, so if you want further information, it's probably best to check their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/doughbotdonuts#!/doughbotdonuts?sk=wall.  They are open every day except Tuesday from 5:00 a.m. until they run out of doughnuts, usually between 10:00 a.m. and noon.  They post daily updates on their Facebook page to let people know what doughnuts they're offering, or when they've run out of doughnuts completely and have closed for the day.


No comments: