Monday, November 12, 2012

Food Stamp Challenge -- Day Five



My week on a food stamp budget is finally winding down. I still have plenty of food left to make it through my seven days, although I don't know if my "side dishes" -- apples, oranges, carrots, and celery -- will last until the end.

Today's breakfast was oatmeal with peanut butter, apple slices, and a cup of tea with lemon. Adding the peanut butter to the oatmeal made it so filling that I wasn't hungry at lunch time, which was probably just as well since I had a meeting from noon to 3:00. I cut up a carrot to take to the meeting, along with a bottle filled with the rest of the iced tea from the pot I made the night before Day One. By the time I got home, I was pretty hungry but didn't want to eat a full meal so close to dinner time. So I ate four celery sticks stuffed with peanut butter instead to tide me over. I also made a new pot of tea so I'll have iced tea for the remaining two days of the challenge.


That meant I was starving when dinner time rolled around. So I had an enormous plate full of leftover pasta with mushroom sauce and half a Valencia orange. It may not look pretty in the picture at the top of this blog post, but I wolfed it right down.

I've been surprised by the level of interest shown in the topic of following a vegan diet on a food stamp budget. The number of page views this blog has recorded has sky-rocketed. It used to be that on a good day following a new post, I might have 200 page views. In the past 24 hours, however, I've had well over 700 page views. If anyone has a theory about why this is such a hot topic, I'd love to hear about it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My theory is that while some of us might not be on EBT, most are trying to stretch the budget. Any ideas on nutritious inexpensive meals is helpful to my family! And you've helped me... I'm going to try your homemade broth plan.

Pam said...

I'm so glad the posts have been helpful for you! I agree -- we're all looking for ways to make our food dollars go farther. I'm planning to make some vegetable broth today to use in my cauliflower and potato curry this weekend -- perfect for this rainy weather!