Monday, February 4, 2013

Hamburger Patties



UPDATE: HAMBURGER PATTIES HAS CLOSED


Sometimes, only a burger will do. That's how I was feeling last week, so my husband and I went to lunch at Hamburger Patties. While nothing on the menu there is specifically vegan, there are several items that can easily be made vegan by leaving off the non-vegan ingredients.

The vegan Boca Burger can be substituted for a meat patty in any of their burger dishes. I just went with the standard Boca Burger on their vegetarian menu and asked them to leave off the thousand island dressing and serve the burger on toasted sourdough. The burger comes with fries, cole slaw, or Caribbean rice, all of which are problematic for vegans. The rice is made with chicken stock, the cole slaw includes mayonnaise, and the restaurant uses the same oil for the fries that they use for their non-vegan fried foods. At the time I was there, however, the server said the only items that had been fried in the oil so far that day were fries and onion rings, so I decided to have the fries. The server told me that they could have substituted a small green salad instead of the other side dishes. If you decide to go with that option, you'll want to make sure they don't put cheese on the green salad.

Our server was very knowledgeable about how to adapt Hamburger Patties' menu options for vegans, so I assume they see their fair share of vegans at the restaurant. I think the next time I go, I'll try the Big Valley Burger, with fresh pineapple, sautéed mushrooms, and teriyaki sauce (hold the cheddar cheese). Yum!

Hamburger Patties is located at 1630 J Street, and their phone number is 916-441-4340. Their website address is http://hamburger-patties.com/, and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hamburger-Patties/125672124114151?fref=ts. The restaurant is open Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.; Monday from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.; Tuesday through Thursday from 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.; Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.; and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.


2 comments:

Artem said...

It turns out vegan food can be nice :)

Pam said...

Yes, it can!