Monday, February 16, 2015

Oak Park Brewing Company

My son was home on a break from college recently, and we decided to have lunch at the Oak Park Brewing Company, which opened just a few months ago. While there weren't many vegan options on the menu, I thought the mention of a vegan burger was a hopeful sign.


There is a different vegetarian soup every day, and when I was there, it was a vegan pureed tomato, mushroom, and barley soup. It was flavorful and spicy and, best of all, it was served hot, which has not been the case with any of the soups I've had at the last few restaurants I've visited. The toasted bread served with it appeared to be buttery, so I skipped that.




I ordered Steve's Vegan Burger for my entree. It was a tasty barley patty served on a ciabatta roll with arugula, onions, and toasted pepita sauce. It comes with fries or salad, but the fries are cooked in the same oil as non-vegan menu items, so I ordered the salad. It came sprinkled with Parmesan, so if you order this dish, you may want to ask your server to let the chef know you don't want any cheese on your salad.




The only other vegan item was the roasted seasonal vegetables, available either as a small plate or as a side dish. I'll give that a try on my next visit.


Oak Park Brewing Company is located at 3514 Broadway, and their phone number is 916-660-2723. Their website address is http://www.opbrewco.com/, and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/OakParkBrewingCompany. The restaurant is open Sunday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., and Thursday through Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Vegan Food in Portland PdxVegan is a choice, a vision, a lifestyle. We are changing how we eat out from the earth, in a responsible and sustainable way that benefits our health. This section is all about healthy lifestyle tips and advice from a dietary point of view. Healthy eating and an active lifestyle are proven methods to reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease.