Monday, April 25, 2016

Localis

Normally, I avoid blogging about restaurants that don't have actual vegan options listed on their menus. I hate going into a restaurant feeling like I'm an unwanted guest who has to be accommodated. I also prefer to know what my choices are ahead of time, rather than having to trust that the chef will make something I'll like.


I made an exception last week when my husband Phil and I went to Localis, mostly because the phrasing on their website didn't make me feel as though my need for vegan options was a nuisance. The Localis website says: "Vegans, vegetarians, pescatarians and omnivores alike will find a welcoming seat at our table." I made a notation on the online reservation form to let the chef know I was vegan, and I received a call from the restaurant staff to tell me they can always provide a vegan option, although they appreciated the advance notice.


After Phil and I were seated Saturday night, I asked our server what the vegan options were. He said one of the "Small Fare" items on the menu, Fungi and Pots, could be made vegan by omitting the butter, so I ordered that for my first course. It was a mixture of cultured and foraged mushrooms, potatoes, spinach, and nasturtium petals, and it was excellent. If you're not very hungry, it might even be enough food for an entrée.




For my "Primary Fare," I had two choices: a spring vegetable stir-fry over either quinoa or farro, or a vegan version of the roasted asparagus risotto offered with their fish entrée. I chose the vegetable stir-fry. It was a wonderful dish, consisting of carrots, asparagus, broccoli, and mushrooms stir-fried in a flavorful sauce (a little on the salty side, but I was okay with that) and served over a bed of farro.




The five-course tasting menu at Localis can also be modified for vegans, with at least 24 hours advance notice. For a special occasion dinner, that could definitely be worth checking out!


Localis is located at 2031 S Street, and their phone number is 916-737-7599. Their website address is http://www.localissacramento.com, and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/Localis-1443061382661807/?fref=ts. The restaurant is open for lunch from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, and for dinner from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.

4 comments:

Jeannie said...

THIS. "I hate going into a restaurant feeling like I'm an unwanted guest who has to be accommodated. I also prefer to know what my choices are ahead of time, rather than having to trust that the chef will make something I'll like."

Pam said...

Glad I'm not the only one!

Unknown said...

Hello,

I am freshman Civitas student from Rio Americano High School. The Civitas program is a four-year political studies and government class where we learn about policy and the way government works at the local level as well as the national level. Anyways, I am doing a paper for my final this year about how Veganism helps the environment. I would like to interview you for my paper because I really need an expert in the field to help me with all of the aspects of Veganism. The due date approaching fast so I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you so much and I love your work!

From,
Jane Snider
snij71@gmail.com
(916) 599-1866

Pam said...

Thanks for your inquiry, Jane. I just sent you an email.