Several events that may be of interest to local vegans are coming up this month. Check them out!
• April 13: The Culinary Center at Whole Foods Market will offer a "Plant Indulgent Recipes with Chef AJ" class from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Chef AJ will demonstrate how to make raw chocolate mousse torte with raspberry coulis, a cherry cardamom rice pudding, Thai peanut noodles, 6-minute split pea soup, Quick 6 fat-free salad dressing, and a creamy kale dip. More information about this course can be found at http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaid=229351.
• April 15: The Sacramento Vegan Society will have a "Help a Hen" party at Arden Park beginning at 4:00 p.m. Attendees are asked to bring a picnic dinner for themselves and their families, and baked goods to sell at a bake sale to raise funds for Animal Place, a sanctuary for abused and discarded farm animals. More information can be found on the Sacramento Vegan Society's website at http://www.meetup.com/sacvegansociety-org/events/50298312/.
• April 21: The fourth Sacramento Mobile Food Festival, SactoMoFo 4, will take place under the freeway at 8th and W from 11:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. While most of the vendors don't have vegan menu options, there are several that do, which makes it worthwhile to check out this fun event. More information about SactoMoFo 4, including a list of participating vendors, is available at https://www.facebook.com/events/251129738307910/.
• April 22: A new baking competition called 1000 Vegan Cupcakes for Charity will be held on Earth Day at the Tower Bridge Bistro at Embassy Suites in Old Sacramento. Ten local bakers will each make 100 vegan cupcakes, which will be sold for charity. More information about the participating bakers and the charities that will benefit from this event is available at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sacramento-Vegan-Chef-Challenge/188749977858900#!/events/345975432106230/.
• April 26: A vegan Indian feast cooking class will be held at the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op Community Learning Center & Cooking School from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. The menu includes chana dal fritters with curry leaves and red chiles, cool green pea & corn soup with coconut milk, vegetables and red lentil rice featuring freshly roasted and ground spices, pan-roasted baby potatoes, and rice pudding with soy milk and freshly ground cardamom. More information is available at http://www.sacfoodcoop.com/index.php?option=com_jevents&task=icalrepeat.detail&evid=6202&Itemid=58&year=2012&month=04&day=26&uid=c4d2e728aff36c6f47e221607db76224&Itemid=58.