Monday, May 27, 2013

Negril on J




UPDATE: NEGRIL ON J HAS CLOSED


I just got back from Negril on J, where their Vegan Mondays began today. In spite of a little first day confusion, I had a very good lunch, prepared by I'tal Chef Kimba Kabaka.


I ordered the Veggie Patte' Dish, but somehow ended up with the I'tal Plate, which consisted of stuffed smoked plantain balls, quinoa, and callaloo (a dish made of cooked greens), drizzled with a spicy coconut tomato sauce. I really enjoyed the sweet, smoky taste of the plantain balls. I ordered tamarind juice as my beverage, and it was a light and refreshing accompaniment to my lunch.


Next time, I'll try for the Veggie Patte' Dish again, which is pan-fried dough stuffed with organic curry lentils, potatoes, kale, and sprouted tofu, served with a spicy mustard green salad. I'm a big fan of pan-fried dough in any culinary tradition! I noticed that several diners ordered the Curry Tofu Salad, which also looked quite good.


I was happy to see that most of the tables in Negril were full for this first Vegan Monday, especially impressive since most of J Street looked like a ghost town today. The three items I mentioned comprise the lunch menu, but different items will be offered for dinner. There will be a Veggie Fish Stew, described as vegan non-GMO soy protein wrapped in Nori (seaweed) stewed in a spicy coconut tomato sauce, and served with quinoa, fresh stir fried greens, and plantains. There will also be Ackee (a type of fruit similar to a lychee) and Callaloo, served with coconut forbidden rice and kale. The Curry Tofu Salad is available on the dinner menu as well.


Negril on J is located at 2502 J Street, and their phone number is 916-440-1088. Their website address is http://www.negrilonj.com/# and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/NegrilonJ?fref=ts. Vegan Mondays will continue for the foreseeable future from 11:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope their vegan dishes are better than their regular menu. Was sorely disappointed when we went there both times.

Pam said...

Sorry to hear that! The food from their regular menu would be prepared by a different chef, as Chef Kimba only cooks on Vegan Mondays. Check out the vegan dishes and let me know what you think!