Monday, May 12, 2014

Road Trip! Nectar Cafe in Auburn

I rarely venture very far up I-80, but needing a restaurant to blog about this week, I decided to follow the advice of a fellow vegan and visit Nectar Cafe in Auburn. It was definitely worth the trip!


Nectar Cafe is all vegetarian, with a great selection of vegan items. In fact, all of the menu choices I considered were vegan, and I didn't even have to make any substitutions or ask for anything to be left out.


I started with a cup of excellent split pea soup. Apparently, the soup selections change daily, so split pea may not be an option when you go. The other soup the day I was there was called "Gazpacho with Gusto" and was a very chunky version of gazpacho.




I had a tough time deciding which wrap to order for my main course. The Southwestern Wrap filled with black beans, brown rice, salsa, and cashew chipotle sauce sounded good, as did the Thai Wrap filled with cabbage, spiced nuts, veggies, avocado, and Asian almond sauce. But since I love cauliflower, I chose the Curry Tempeh Wrap, which was stuffed with roasted cauliflower, tempeh, carrots, cabbage, and raisins, then dressed with a coconut curry sauce. So good!




There are several other vegan options at Nectar Cafe as well. You can build your own grain bowl, salad, or wrap using a choice of items from the salad bar. There are a variety of juices available, and there's a whole menu section devoted to "Nibbles & Noshes." They also offer oatmeal or teff muesli for breakfast, which is served until 11:00 daily.

Since I was there to gather material for a blog post, I thought I'd better order a dessert too, so I had the chocolate raspberry tart. This frozen treat was the perfect end to a delicious meal.




Nectar Cafe is located at 948A Lincoln Way in downtown Auburn, and their phone number is 530-820-3314. Their website address is http://nectar-cafe.com/, and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/nectarcafeauburn. The restaurant is open Monday through Wednesday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and Thursday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.


No comments: