Friday, October 30, 2015

Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge 2015 -- Lou's Sushi

The Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge ends tomorrow, which means I'm running out of time to visit all the participating restaurants. I didn't want the challenge to end without a visit to Lou's Sushi, though, so I had lunch there today.


I don't usually go to sushi restaurants because, frankly, I'm not a sushi fan. Fortunately, the vegan menu at Lou's includes several non-sushi dishes.


I started with the elegant tofu and grilled asparagus salad, served with miso dressing. The asparagus was grilled to perfection, crisp but not raw, and the dressing gave just the right flavor to the silky tofu cubes. And what a beautiful presentation!




I also ordered the portabella katsu, which made me very happy. I haven't had any type of katsu since I went vegan more than thirteen years ago, and I used to really like it, so I was thrilled to see a vegan katsu on the menu at Lou's. In this particular dish, the portobello mushroom cap was grilled rather than fried, then breaded and sliced. It was served with a sweet sauce that was just right for this dish.




For those of you who do like sushi, Lou's is offering six different vegan rolls, including the popular OMFG roll they had on their Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge menu last year. Better head on over there before the challenge ends!


Lou's Sushi is located at 2801 P Street, and their phone number is 916-451-4700. Their website address is http://www.lousushi.com/, and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/LouSushi/?fref=ts. The restaurant is open Tuesday through Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Saturday from 3:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., and Sunday from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

No comments: