Tuesday, October 3, 2017

SVCC Day Three -- Evan's Kitchen (breakfast) and Mayahuel

I doubled up today on my quest to eat at as many participating restaurants as possible during the Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge. First, my husband Phil and I had breakfast at the always vegan-friendly Evan's Kitchen at the 57th Street Antique Mall. There were five (!) vegan breakfast options, but what caught my eye were the carrot cake pancakes. Served with vegan butter and maple syrup, they were outstanding.


Here are the other vegan items Evan's Kitchen is offering this month (with someone's hand-written notes scribbled on the menus).



For lunch, my friend Cathy and I went downtown to Mayahuel, where they are going all out with a five-course vegan meal, which looks amazing. Unfortunately, it's only available for dinner.


No worries, though, because Mayahuel offers several vegan options on their regular vegetarian/vegan menu. I ordered the Tres Tostadas Aztecas, three small tostadas, each with a different topping. The first one (my favorite!) was topped with guacamole, bell peppers, and nopales; the second had smoked poblano rajas, corn, pickled red onions, cilantro, and lime; and the third was topped with corn, black beans, lettuce, and pineapple salsa.


Cathy ordered the Enchiladas Zapotecas, black corn tortillas filled with guacamole and topped with sautéed mushrooms in adobo sauce. She enjoyed this dish very much.


I hope I can make it back there sometime before the end of the month, though, to try that five-course meal!






No comments: