Monday, September 9, 2013

Insight Coffee Roasters



I've been attending occasional meet-ups called Shut Up & Write! People meet at local coffeehouses to spend an hour working on their current writing projects. For me, those projects are this blog and a mystery I've been working on for the last couple of years.


The only reason this matters to you is because I always check to see whether the coffeehouses where the meet-ups take place are vegan-friendly. More often than not, there's something in the pastry case that I can actually eat.


I've attended a couple of Shut Up & Write! meet-ups at Insight Coffee Roasters in the Southside Park neighborhood. As with most coffeehouses, soy milk can be substituted for dairy milk in their coffee drinks. But the best thing about writing at Insight is that when I asked if they had any vegan pastries, I was told that they serve vegan donuts from Doughbot. The picture above shows my mid-morning snack of iced tea and two Doughbot donuts: a Lime-Coconut Malasada and a Picard (Earl Grey). Another morning, I ordered the Rosemary Lemon Poppy donut. They were all wonderful. Make sure to ask for the vegan donut selection, though, as they sell non-vegan Doughbot donuts at Insight too.


Of course, Doughbot is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, which means no vegan donuts are available at Insight on those days. I asked if they had any other options for vegans, and they do: pre-packaged Fruit & Nut Granola Bars from Sugar Plum Vegan Bakery. Needless to say, I love it when Shut Up & Write! meets at Insight.


Insight Coffee Roasters is located at 1901 8th Street, and their phone number is 916-642-9555. Their website address is http://insightcoffee.com/, and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/insightcoffee. They are open daily from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

No comments: