Monday, March 17, 2014

Blackbird Kitchen + Beer Gallery



I had such a nice dinner at Blackbird Kitchen + Beer Gallery over the weekend. This restaurant closed suddenly last September, just before they were scheduled to participate in the Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge. I thought I'd forever missed my chance to eat there, but then the restaurant reopened last month.


The menu at Blackbird is still a work in progress, but they seem committed to offering at least some vegan options. My dinner Saturday night was the Wild Mushrooms and Toasted Oats, a dish that included toasted oats, wild rice, quinoa, and other grains, and a selection of kings, trumpet, and beach mushrooms. I don't know what made this dish so good, but the flavor and texture combinations worked beautifully together, and I savored every bite.


A basket of white, honey wheat, and black rolls came with the dinner, but only the black roll is vegan. The only other vegan options on the menu, at this point, are the Pan Blistered Shishito Peppers and the Risotto Burger, which I may want to try on a future visit. On the other hand, I may not feel the need ever to order anything other than the Wild Mushrooms and Toasted Oats! The dish was just that good.


Blackbird Kitchen + Beer Gallery is located at 1015 Ninth Street, and their phone number is 916-498-9224. Their website address is http://blackbird-kitchen.com/, and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/BlackbirdKitchenBar. Currently, the restaurant is open only for dinner Tuesday through Saturday beginning at 4:00 p.m. They hope to add lunch service in the near future.

2 comments:

Linda Conrad said...

I think Blackbird Kitchen may be closed.

Pam said...

Yes, I think you're right, Linda.