Monday, March 3, 2014

Thai Chili

I received my March issue of Sacramento magazine the other day and started thumbing through the restaurant section. I found a listing for Thai Chili in Elk Grove that said this restaurant "offers an entire menu just for vegetarians." Clearly, this was a place I needed to blog about!


I drove through the pouring rain and found the restaurant in a strip mall on Elk Grove Boulevard. Looking through the three or four pages of vegetarian options in the menu, the first thing I knew I had to have was the Coconut Soup, made with lemongrass, mushroom, snow peas, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, cabbage, carrots, and tomatoes in a coconut milk broth. It was a little bit spicy, chock full of vegetables, and quite delicious. Since I was planning to have an entrée too, I ordered only a small portion of the soup. If I had it to do over again, I'd have ordered extra to bring home, since it was just that good.




With so many choices, I had a hard time deciding what to order for my entrée. I went back and forth in the menu between the curries and the noodles before finally ordering the very tasty Stir Fried Spicy Asparagus Noodles, an enormous serving of wide flat rice noodles tossed with tofu, asparagus, mushrooms, and carrots in a spicy red chili sauce. Most of the noodle dishes come with egg, but it can be omitted upon request. On my next visit, I'll have to try one of the curries, probably the Pineapple Red Curry.




Thai Chili is located at 8696 Elk Grove Boulevard #5. Their phone number is 916-714-3519, and their website address is http://www.thaichilielkgrove.net/. The restaurant is open Sunday through Thursday from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., and Friday and Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.


3 comments:

Jessica said...

Some friends took us there. Yu-um. Since we are not just vegan but low oil ones at that, Thai food is our easiest eat out option. We always ask for fresh tofu, not fried, and ask if they can hold back on the oil. Thai food is a vegan's best friend.

allsquaredup.blogspot.com

Jessica

Pam said...

I completely agree with you about Thai food, Jessica. Once I confirm that there's no fish sauce in the curry, I feel like my choices are unlimited. I love Thai restaurants!

Chantelle Kadala said...

Ohhh... I'm going to have to try Thai Chili for sure. I was able to get a little article up on Yahoo Voices about my three top vegan restaurants in Sacramento if you wan to check it out. http://goo.gl/U1Y9JJ Don't tell anybody but Mother was my favorite :-)