Monday, November 28, 2011

Indo Cafe

I decided to do a little holiday shopping in Old Sacramento recently.  All that shopping made me hungry, and I had to find a vegan-friendly restaurant for lunch.  Happily, I discovered Indo Cafe, a small restaurant on Front Street serving Indonesian and other Asian cuisine.

I asked the man at the counter what they had that didn't contain any animal products, and he said that since most of their dishes are made to order, tofu could be substituted for meat in almost everything on their menu.  So I asked him what he would recommend, and he suggested fried tofu with peanut sauce.  I decided to give it a try.  He brought out a dish shaped like a small rowboat that contained a bed of shredded cabbage and chopped peppers topped with fried tofu cubes, covered in a spicy peanut sauce, and served with a mountain of white rice.  It was delicious! 

If peanut sauce isn't your thing, there are numerous other sauce options, including curry, teriyaki, and sweet and sour, to name a few.  Really, I was so happy to find this little restaurant, since it's not always easy finding something that's both good and vegan in Old Sacramento.

Indo Cafe is located at 1100 Front Street, Suite 150.  Their phone number is 916-446-4008, and their website address is http://www.indocafe-ca.com/3.html.  They are open Tuesday through Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. in the winter, and from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the summer.  On Sunday, they are open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  The restaurant is closed on Monday.


No comments: