Monday, July 16, 2012

Tako Korean BBQ



I don't know how long it's been since the old gas station at the corner of Alhambra and T streets actually sold gas, but for as long as I can remember, it was nothing but an eyesore. The fencing that was put up around the building did nothing to keep out graffiti artists and other vandals. So I was very excited when I saw that the building had been freshly painted and the grounds had been cleaned up, and someone clearly had plans for this historic structure.

This past week, the old gas station re-opened as Tako Korean BBQ, serving Korean tacos, burritos, and rice bowls. I waited in line two days in a row as people poured into the tiny restaurant to try out their menu offerings, and it was well worth my wait when I had my first bite of their tofu tacos.

The tacos come three to an order, with each taco consisting of two small corn tortillas, fried tofu cubes, coleslaw with a vinaigrette dressing, and cilantro sauce. Normally, they are garnished with cheese, so be sure to ask them to omit the cheese. I thought they were delicious, and they may become my new fast food favorite.

The second day I visited the restaurant, I tried to order a burrito so I could report on something besides the tacos, but they had run out of rice and I didn't have time to wait while a new batch finished cooking. If you order the tofu burrito or tofu rice bowl, you'll need to ask that the cheese and sour cream be omitted, and you'll want to make sure to ask for the cilantro sauce, as their other sauces are not vegan.

Tako Korean BBQ is a welcome addition to the Sacramento dining scene. The restaurant, which has seating both indoors and outdoors, is located at 3030 T Street, and their phone number is 916-346-4933. They don't have a website, but they do have a Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/#!/takosac. The restaurant is open daily from 10:30 a.m. until 10:00 p.m.

1 comment:

Malin Andersson said...

Hey, firstly I would like to tell you that you have shared a healthy recipe. This recipe is very simple to cook. I am cooking this recipe and I am sure, this will be very tasty.