Monday, July 9, 2012

Thai Spice

My son and I visited Thai Spice on Broadway the other day, and we both really enjoyed our meals. The first thing I did, as always when I visit a Thai restaurant, was to ask if they use fish sauce in their curries. The server told me that they make their curry fresh for each dish, which means they can always leave the fish sauce out upon request. So I ordered the Gaeng Pak (mixed vegetable curry). And while I was at it, I decided to live dangerously and order medium spice, instead of my usual mild.

First of all, let me say that the medium spice had quite a kick to it, although not so much that it took away from my enjoyment of the food. The vegetables in the delicious coconut milk and red curry sauce were carrots, baby corn, broccoli, green beans, snow peas, bamboo shoots, red bell pepper, and cabbage. It was a very generous helping, so after I ate my fill, there was enough left over for another couple of meals at home.

Other vegan options listed in the vegetarian section of the menu include:

• Pad Pak (broccoli, carrots, green beans, cabbage, red bell pepper, baby corn, bean sprouts, mushrooms, and snow peas sautéed with garlic and light soy sauce)
• Tofu Eggplant (eggplant, tofu, bell peppers, and basil)
• String Beans with Ginger (green beans, ginger, lemon grass, and coconut milk over shredded cabbage)
• Green Delight (broccoli, green beans, snow peas, and Chinese broccoli in garlic sauce)
• Pad Pak Tofu (mixed vegetables with tofu in garlic and light soy sauce)

The menu includes a statement that vegetarian dishes are available upon request, so if you see something you think you'd like if only it were made with tofu or vegetables instead of some form of animal protein, you may want to ask your server if they can accommodate your request.

Thai Spice is located at 2721 Broadway, and their phone number is 916-455-9580. They don't appear to have a website. The restaurant is open daily from 11:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.



No comments: