Monday, October 22, 2012

58 Degrees & Holding Co. 2012

I had such a lovely meal tonight at 58 Degrees & Holding Co. with my friends Bonnie and Cathie. 58 Degrees is another participating restaurant in the Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge, and the menu created by Chef F. J. Villalobos did not disappoint.

We began with the special vegan appetizer, described on the menu as a flatbread with vegan marcona "cheese," avocado, red onion, jalapeno, tomato raisins, and yeast flakes. I didn't know how I would feel about the raw jalapeno slices on this appetizer, but they really gave a bit of pizazz to this very tasty dish.

The vegan entrée was the Autumn Roughage salad, consisting of lolla rossa (a type of lettuce), parsnips (marinated in a maple syrup sauce), carrots, jicama, kale (cooked in such a way that it had the crispness of a potato chip), ajo blanco (a creamy garlic sauce), and pomegranate seeds. It sounds like an odd combination, but it came together beautifully, and I ate every bite.

The Sans-Panna Cotta dessert was a fabulous vegan amaretto coconut custard, topped with slivered almonds and garnished with a rock sugar that was both sweet and salty. My only regret was that my dining companions and I decided to share this dessert. I may have to go back sometime before the Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge ends and order a whole one just for me.

I'm sorry to say that I forgot to take my camera with me, so I can't post pictures of these dishes, but they were as beautifully presented as they were delicious. My non-vegan friends were as impressed as I was with this meal.

58 Degrees & Holding Co. is located at 1217 18th Street, and their phone number is 916-442-5858. The restaurant's website address is http://www.58degrees.com/, and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/58-Degrees-Holding-Co/361925419790?fref=ts. Their Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge menu is available during dinner through the month of October. The restaurant is closed on Tuesdays.



No comments: