Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge 2014 -- Evan's Kitchen

I had a lovely lunch at Evan's Kitchen Tuesday afternoon. I know I'll go back there at least another time or two before the Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge is over, especially since their breakfast is always so good. But rather than writing a big long blog post after I've tried more of Chef Evan's Challenge dishes, I thought I'd go ahead and blog about my lunch experience now, and write another blog post when I go back again.


There are always multiple items for breakfast, lunch, and dinner at Evan's Kitchen during the Challenge, so I had some choices to make for lunch. There were two soups: Minestrone or Sweet Potato, Leek and Ginger. Since my favorite minestrone soup is the one I make myself, I decided to have the sweet potato soup. It was so good that I wished I'd ordered a bowl instead of a cup.




The lunch choices were the Smokey Mushroom Burger, Grilled Eggplant Sandwich, or Eggplant Lasagna. I went with the lasagna, which was very light and quite delicious. The menu didn't list the ingredients, but there didn't seem to be any pasta in the dish. It had eggplant, tomato sauce, bread crumbs, I think, and vegan cheese. It was excellent.




I don't know whether Chef Evan has decided not to make a special vegan dessert for the Challenge, or if it's just not available for lunch. At any rate, the only vegan dessert available was a simple but refreshing raspberry sorbet.




Evan's Kitchen is located at 855 57th Street, in the 57th Street Antique Row, and their phone number is 916-452-3896. Their website address is http://www.chefevan.com/ and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/evanskitchen. The restaurant is open Tuesday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., and on Sunday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

No comments: