Monday, July 20, 2015

The Hideaway Bar & Grill



The Hideaway Bar & Grill on Franklin Boulevard near Broadway is listed on Yelp under the "Dive Bar" category. To be clear, I'm looking at my dive bar days in the rear view mirror, and at quite a distance, for that matter. But in the interest of seeking out vegan food wherever I can find it so I can recommend it to you, my fellow vegans, I visited the Hideaway this weekend with my husband Phil.


I had already checked out the menu online, so I knew they offered a vegan sandwich, and that's what I ordered. The Vegan Harbor Sando is full of grilled vegetables -- zucchini, mushrooms, and bell peppers. The sandwich, served on toasted sourdough bread, also includes avocado, sundried tomatoes, carmelized onions, and olives. It comes with either fries or a side salad. I forgot to specify which side dish I wanted, so my plate came out with fries. I'm guessing, though, that the fries are cooked in the same oil as non-vegan items, so you may want to ask for a side salad.




There are several other items on the menu that appear as though they could probably be made vegan -- the Beet Off Salad without the feta cheese, for example, or the Crude Stud Veggie Sando, also without the feta. I was impressed by the variety of vegan or vegetarian menu items offered by the Hideaway's kitchen.


The Hideaway Bar & Grill is located at 2565 Franklin Boulevard, and their phone number is 916-455-1331. They don't appear to have a website, but their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/SactoHideaway?fref=ts. The kitchen is open Monday through Wednesday from 4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., Thursday and Friday from 4:00 p.m. to midnight, Saturday from noon to midnight, and Sunday from noon to 3:00 p.m. and from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

No comments: