Monday, August 13, 2012

Road Trip! Samba Brazilian Steakhouse at Universal Studios in Hollywood

My family and I took a trip down the California coast last week, beginning in beautiful Half Moon Bay and ending in high-energy Los Angeles. During most of the trip, I endured daily helpings of my last resort vegan meals of pasta with tomato sauce or veggie burgers. By the time we finished our day at Universal Studios and checked out the restaurants on the Universal City Walk, I was desperate for something fun and exciting to eat.

Which is how we ended up at Samba Brazilian Steakhouse, of all places. While the guys in my family ate themselves into a meat coma, I feasted on a variety of fabulous salads from the best salad bar ever. There were probably at least ten to twelve vegan salads available, but the five I tried were:

• Beets and asparagus with walnuts
• Green beans, red bell pepper, and onion
• Couscous with peas, corn, and onion
• Tomatoes with basil
• Wild rice with pineapple, red bell pepper, and red onion

Other salads that appeared to be vegan included a penne pasta salad with parsley and olives; fresh melon salad; kidney bean salad; garbanzo bean salad; and mushroom salad.

I guess the moral of the story is that if you're going to eat in a steakhouse, pick one where the staff takes as much care with their vegetables as they do with their meat. It's safe to say that this was absolutely my best meal of the trip.

Samba Brazilian Steakhouse is located at 1000 Universal City Walk, #101H in Universal City. Their phone number is 818-763-0101, and their website address is http://sambahollywood.com/index.html. The restaurant is open Sunday through Thursday from 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., and Friday and Saturday from 11:00 a.m. until midnight.

No comments: