Friday, October 18, 2013

Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge 2013 -- Hot City Pizza



Time is running out on the Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge. I've already resigned myself to the fact that I won't be able to visit all of the participating restaurants before the challenge ends Sunday, but I'm fitting them in where I can.


I had a writing group meeting last night, which meant a sit-down meal in one of the remaining restaurants was out of the question. Instead, I stopped by Hot City Pizza and picked up their vegan pizza to share with the group.


The pizza had a whole wheat crust spread with marinara sauce and then topped with carmelized red onion, a little housemade vegan cheese, roasted potatoes, roasted kabocha squash, yellow squash, zucchini, and basil. I really enjoyed it, but more importantly, it received an enthusiastic response from the other members of my writing group, none of whom are vegan. Sorry for the picture quality -- I don't know why it turned out so orange!




While this pizza has been very popular at Hot City Pizza this month, there are no plans to continue offering it after Sunday, so if you want to try it, you'd better head on over there this weekend.


Hot City Pizza is located at 5642 J Street, and their phone number is 916-731-8888. Their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/hotcitypizza. The restaurant will be open from noon to 9:00 p.m. today, and from 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. tomorrow and Sunday.


No comments: