Monday, October 21, 2013

Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge 2013 -- Magpie Café



I had my last Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge meal of the year Saturday night at Magpie Café, a restaurant that offers options for vegans year-round, not just during the challenge.


Two items were being offered specifically for the challenge: an appetizer and an entrée. The appetizer sounded great -- mushrooms cultivated in Natomas by Dragon Mushrooms and served with purée of white bean, truffle oil, and crostini -- but I knew if I ordered that and the entrée, I'd be too full for dessert, so I skipped it.


The entrée, Autumn Chanterelle and Runner Bean Ragout, was perfect for a fall evening. It consisted of golden chanterelles from Oregon, heirloom cannellini beans from Mohr Fry Ranch, fingerling potatoes, winter squash, herbs, and marsala, ingredients that all worked well together in this delicious ragout.


I was glad I had saved room for Magpie's fabulous chocolate avocado mousse, garnished with a thin line of powdered chocolate and a thin line of salt. It's hard to believe that a mousse this decadent doesn't contain eggs or cream. I ate every bite.




If you weren't able to get to Magpie during the Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge, don't worry. The server told me that the chef will continue to offer the Autumn Chanterelle and Runner Bean Ragout for a while longer as a special on their fall menu (dinner only). The amazing chocolate avocado mousse is always available at Magpie.


Magpie Café is located at 1409 R Street, Suite 102, and their phone number is 916-452-7594. Their website address is http://www.magpiecafe.com/cafe, and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magpie-Cafe/144800849518. The restaurant is open Monday through Wednesday from 10:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Thursday and Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., and Sunday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

No comments: