Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Capitol Garage

I had a great dinner last night at the sixth restaurant I've visited as part of the Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge -- Capitol Garage.  I'm glad I did, because the beer battered and deep fried green bean appetizer, served with chipotle ketchup, turned out to be my favorite of all the dishes I've tasted so far during this challenge.  They were fabulous and they deserve a place on the Capitol Garage menu even after the challenge ends later this month.

I also enjoyed my entree, the South West Barley Risotto, consisting of pearl barley and several fresh vegetables, including corn, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes, topped with slices of grilled eggplant.  It was very hearty and quite filling, which presented a problem for me because there was no way that I was going to skip the vegan dessert -- Chai Coconut Chocolate Cake.  So I ordered the cake to go.  Lucky me -- I got the very last piece, and ate every single bite when I got home.

Chef Raphael Kendall, who created this menu, is a vegan himself and was featured in the Sacramento Bee article about the Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge last week (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/12/3974833/sacramento-chefs-whip-up-vegan.html).  He will be the head chef at The Porch, a new restaurant that the owners of Capitol Garage will be opening soon at the location formerly occupied by Celestin's.  Let's hope that Chef Kendall will add some of his amazing vegan creations to the menu at The Porch!

Capitol Garage is located at 1500 K Street.  Their phone number is 916-444-3633, and their website address is http://www.capitolgarage.com/index.shtml.  The restaurant is open Monday through Thursday from 6:00 a.m. to midnight, Friday from 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m.

No comments: