Thursday, October 6, 2011

Gourmet Wraps

UPDATE: GOURMET WRAPS HAS CLOSED.





I had lunch at Gourmet Wraps yesterday, a small restaurant at the Town & Country Village shopping center offering Mediterranean fare in a casual setting.  As I expected, they offered wraps containing falafel and hummus, perennial vegan favorites.  But I wanted to try something different, so I ordered the cauliflower wrap.

Now, let me start by saying that I really like cauliflower.  If you don't, or if you're just ambivalent about it, this is not the wrap for you, as the main ingredient and the predominant flavor really is fried and seasoned cauliflower florets.  But I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The wrap also included lettuce, tomato, tahini, and dill pickle chips (I had them leave off the onions).  I especially liked the tastes of the tahini and pickles in combination with the cauliflower.  The wrap was fairly large, and I remember thinking that I wouldn't be able to finish it all, but that was apparently the last thing I remembered before I scarfed down every bite.

If cauliflower's not your thing, Gourmet Wraps has other vegan wrap choices.  The Makali is a fried eggplant wrap, the Mujadra is a wrap filled with lentils and rice, and there is also a spinach wrap.  The Rice & Beans wrap can be made vegan by omitting the cheese and the cucumber sauce, which has a sour cream base.  There are also three salads that are vegan or can be made vegan:  the Garden Salad, the Greek Salad (hold the feta), and the Fettoush Salad, which sounds like it is basically a garden salad tossed with pieces of lavosh (an unleavened flat bread).

Gourmet Wraps is located at 2912 Fulton Avenue, Suite F-3, and their phone number is 916-482-8792.  They don't seem to have a website, but their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gourmet-Wraps-Mediterranean-Restaurant/145337402180362#!/pages/Gourmet-Wraps-Mediterranean-Restaurant/145337402180362?sk=info.  They are open Monday through Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and on Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.  Sunday hours tend to vary, so if you're planning to go on a Sunday, call ahead to make sure they're open.


No comments: