Sunday, October 1, 2017

SVCC Day One -- Buffalo Pizza and Revolution Wines

Today is the first day of the annual Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge, a month-long event in which local chefs prepare special vegan dishes. This year, a record thirty-four restaurants are participating from Sacramento and surrounding areas. I'm going to get to as many as I can, and I'll blog more frequently than usual to let readers know what fabulous vegan dishes I've tried. Today, I actually made it to two of the restaurants on the list.

I started the day with a vegan breakfast pizza from Buffalo Pizza & Ice Cream, located on 21st Street near Broadway, a first-time Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge participant. This delicious pizza was topped with house-made bac'un sauce, garlic cheez, tofu scramble, spinach, and mushrooms. I may be the only vegan in town who hadn't already tried this pizza, since the restaurant has had pop-up events the past two weekends to introduce their new line of vegan pizzas. And the best thing about it is that these pizzas are on the menu to stay, even after the Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge ends.



For dinner, my husband and I went to Revolution Wines, another first-time participant. They put together a very impressive menu for the challenge, but I zeroed in on the lasagna right away. Made with tomato sauce, pesto ricotta, romesco, rosemary oil, and Miyoko's mozzarella, it was excellent! I made sure to save room, however, for the wonderful apple crisp, topped with vegan ice cream.




Stay tuned as I continue to eat my way through the month of October!



No comments: