Monday, August 15, 2011

Celestin's Island Eats and Cajun Cuisine


UPDATE: CELESTIN'S ISLAND EATS AND CAJUN CUISINE HAS CLOSED

I've been eating at Celestin's Restaurant since long before I went vegan, and I've always loved the food.  When I made the decision to switch to a vegan diet, I appreciated Celestin's all the more because there were actually items designated as "vegan" on the menu.  For years, I ordered the curry vegetables every time I visited Celestin's, a blend of squash, potatoes, mushrooms, red bell peppers, and cauliflower cooked in a mildly-spicy Jamaican curry sauce.  The curry vegetables are served with chutney and Cuban black beans and white rice.  Earlier this year, though, I went to Celestin's with friends for a Mardi Gras lunch, and it seemed only fitting that I try the vegetarian gumbo.  It was outstanding, and it's become my new favorite menu item there.  No matter what dish I order, I always wash it down with the especially tasty sangria (if I'm drinking) or a zesty fresh limeade (if I'm not).

Other possible vegan options at Celestin's include the creole vegetables, which I suppose I ought to try one of these days; and the tomato-avocado salad, dressed with a black pepper vinaigrette.  Celestin's also offers a black bean veggie burger, which I've been told is vegan, but you'll want to make sure they don't put mayonnaise on the bun (you'll probably want to ask if the bun is vegan too).  None of the desserts on the menu are vegan.

Celestin's is located at 1815 K Street in midtown Sacramento.  The restaurant's phone number is 916-444-2423 and their website address is http://www.celestinseats.com/index.html.  Celestin's is open Tuesday through Thursday from 11:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.; Friday and Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.; and on Sunday from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.  The restaurant is closed on Monday.

2 comments:

jamiew said...

I still eat meat, but when I can, I like to go at least vegetarian. Your mouth watering descriptions of Celestin's dishes makes me want to take my carnivore husband there and try something out!

Pam said...

There's plenty for a meat-eater to love at Celestin's! Let me know how you and your husband like it.