Saturday, August 20, 2011

Road Trip! Delta of Venus in Davis

Yesterday, I was in Yolo County, so I drove into Davis for lunch at the Delta of Venus restaurant.  I knew it was just the kind of restaurant the Sacramento Vegan was looking for when I saw this sentence on their website:  "Delta of Venus serves wholesome and hearty food for vegans, vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike."  Located in a converted house, Delta of Venus offers seating in the front yard, on the spacious front porch, or inside the restaurant itself.  I chose a shady table on the front porch.

When I went inside to place my order, my biggest problem was trying to decide among so many vegan menu selections, especially since they were serving from both their brunch and lunch menus.  Any of their eight different omelets or scrambles could be made vegan for $1.00 extra by substituting tofu for the eggs and omitting any dairy products.  The scrambles sounded good, especially the Mexican Scramble (crispy corn tortilla strips, bell peppers, serrano chilies, herbs, and spices).  It would have been served with potatoes and walnut toast, and I was really tempted.

On the other hand, it was their vegan lunch selections that had lured me into the restaurant in the first place.  I wanted to try a couple of different things, so I ordered a half Curry Tofu Sandwich and tried to order a cup of the Delta Curry Stew (made with brown rice, coconut milk, kidney beans, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, and spices), but it was already sold out.  So for my second item, I ordered a Rasta Samosa.  I've decided that samosas are delicious from any culinary tradition, and this one was no exception.  It consisted of a flour tortilla wrapped around a filling of potatoes, carrots, peas, bell peppers, and rasta spices, then cooked in canola oil and served with mango chutney.  Two of these would have made a perfectly satisfying lunch on their own.

The Curry Tofu Sandwich, which was served on an excellent half baguette, was good too.  The filling appeared to be crumbled tofu seasoned with curry and mixed together with golden raisins and bits of celery.  Sliced tomatoes and lettuce completed the sandwich.  Delta of Venus also offers a vegan Hummus Sandwich and a vegan Veggie Sandwich.

One of these days, though, I'll have to make a visit to the Delta of Venus at dinner time.  Chef Iwaca prepares family recipes from the Caribbean island of Antigua in a style of cooking called Ital Wadadaly.  The vegan menu items are Curry Tofu, Coconut Tofu, Ginger Tofu, Hot and Sour Tempeh, and Ginger Seitan.

Delta of Venus is located at 122 B Street in Davis, between First and Second.  Their phone number is 530-753-8639, and their website address is http://deltaofvenus.org/.  Brunch is served daily from 7:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.; lunch is served Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.; and dinner is served Monday through Friday from about 5:30 p.m. until about 9:30  p.m.


3 comments:

sacvoter said...

Great review. Makes me want to stop there soon.

sacvoter said...

Great review. Makes me want to stop there soon.

Pam said...

Thanks! It was a very pleasant place to have lunch.