Saturday, August 27, 2011

Old Soul

Sacramentans are fortunate to have the locally-owned, super-cool Old Soul Coffee Houses as an alternative to the ubiquitous Starbucks.  Old Soul has taken up residence in three locations in the midtown and Oak Park neighborhoods, where they roast their coffee themselves and provide a variety of interesting beverages and tasty edibles to their loyal customers.  Among these treats  are vegan muffins (raspberry bran or flax seed) and chocolate cupcakes with a creamy filling, always guaranteed to brighten up my day. 

My favorite Old Soul location is the one at 40 Acres in Oak Park.  The 40 Acres building is made from old brick, which also comprises the interior walls.  The large windows all along the front of the building that face out onto the bustle of Broadway provide plenty of light.  The space is large and airy, with a bar set up off to the side where people can gather for a beer or a glass of wine.  I can walk there from my house, order an iced tea and a vegan chocolate cupcake, and sit at the window counter working on this blog while I watch the world go by.  Life doesn't get much better than that!  If I want something a little more substantial to eat, I order the hummus with baguette slices. 

Old Soul is located in the site of the old Oak Park Starbucks at 3434 Broadway (open daily from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.) and the phone number is 916-453-8540; in the rear alley at 1716 L Street (open daily from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.) and the phone number is 916-443-7685; and in the site of the old Weatherstone coffee house at 812 21st Street (open daily from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.) and the phone number is 916-443-6340.  They are also planning to open a location at the Sacramento International Airport when construction on the new Terminal B is completed.    Their website address is http://www.oldsoulco.com/.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Old Soul is NOT vegan friendly. I had gone there many times in the past and received OK service and food, but that was when I was eating meat and dairy. Recently I became vegan. My last visit, after politely enquiring about vegan options, I was met with rudeness and open hostility by the counter people, particularly by a young blond woman who also felt she had to inform me "that she eats meat EVERY day" while smiling smugly at me. I walked out and I will never return. If you are vegan, Old Soul on Braodway is NOT the place for you.

Pam said...

It doesn't seem to be as vegan-friendly as it once was. They've stopped offering their vegan cupcake, and the last time I was there, they sprinkled Parmesan cheese on the hummus platter even after I had made clear to the cashier that I was vegan. With so many other Sacramento restaurants increasing their options for vegans, I don't know why Old Soul seems to have taken a step backwards. Too bad, as I really like the atmosphere there.