Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mati's Indian Eats


UPDATE: MATI'S INDIAN EATS HAS CLOSED.

Indian cuisine offers numerous options for vegans, so I was very excited when Mati's Indian Eats moved from Natomas to midtown earlier this year.  Although there were already a couple of excellent Indian restaurants fairly close by, I like the fact that Mati's is set up so that you can go through the line and see all the available choices, and it's quick and easy to get food to go.

My last visit was during a lunch hour, so I took advantage of one of the lunch specials, which included either plain or garlic naan, basmati rice, and two entrees (they also have one entree and three entree lunch specials).  There were four vegan entrees:  Aloo Gobhi, which consists of cauliflower, potatoes, and Indian spices; Chana Masala, which is a garbanzo bean curry; a curry made with peas and potatoes; and a mixed vegetable curry, which included green cabbage, potatoes, peas, and carrots.  The heat level for the spices was mild for the Chana Masala and the mixed vegetable curry, and medium for the Aloo Gobhi and the pea and potato curry. 

I ended up ordering the mixed vegetable curry and the pea and potato curry, one mild and one medium, and thoroughly enjoyed both.  The cabbage in the mixed vegetable curry was cooked just right -- not too crisp and not too soft. 

I thought I'd better ask if the naan is vegan, and I was assured that it is.  So are the fabulous vegetarian samosas they offer.  It's too bad that I was too full to order one today.

Mati's Indian Eats is located at 1501 16th Street, in between P and O.  Their phone number is 916-341-0532, but they don't seem to have a working website currently.  They are open Monday through Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., and on Saturday from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.


2 comments:

David said...

I went for the first time yesterday. I work at 12th and I, and am so thrilled there is a good vegan menu within walking distance. Had the three item veg special for two, with garlic naan and two somosas. Heavenly. Will be back many times. David

Pam said...

Sounds like a great lunch, David! I'm glad you liked it.