Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Here's the Scoop!


UPDATE: HERE'S THE SCOOP! HAS CLOSED.

During these hot summer days, one of the hardest times to be a vegan is when everyone else in the family decides they want to go out for ice cream.  While they all try to decide which of two or three dozen flavors to have scooped into their cones or cups, the vegan searches the menu board hopefully for any kind of non-dairy treat, before finally giving up and ordering a small soft drink.

Thanks to Here's the Scoop!, vegans can enjoy ice cream (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) with their families again.  Here's the Scoop! serves the best soy-based "ice cream" I have ever tasted.  They usually have about four flavors available, and I wish I could tell you what they are, but as soon as I see their Very Cherry Chip, a creamy pink concoction with big chunks of chocolate and cherries, I just don't notice anything else.  Well, maybe I have noticed a few other flavors from time to time, including mint chocolate chip, vanilla, and blueberry.  They also make bon bons, molding their soy ice cream into little balls and coating them with dark chocolate.  Heavenly!

The last time I was at Here's the Scoop!, I noticed that they offer all-fruit smoothies too. The fruit is infused with Vitamin C and green tea and made into a drink called Jet Tea.  These smoothies are available in six different flavors.  I thought about ordering one so I could review it for this blog post, but the Very Cherry Chip ice cream wins out every time.

Here's the Scoop! is located across from McClatchy High School at 3051 Freeport Boulevard, and their phone number is 916-446-4478.  They do not appear to have a website.  Here's the Scoop! is open Monday through Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.; Friday and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.; and Sunday from noon until 9:30 p.m.


No comments: