Friday, October 12, 2018

SVCC 2018 -- Ike's Quarter Cafe


My husband Phil and I took a drive up to Nevada City today, where we had fun walking around the historic district and doing a little shopping. We also stopped in for lunch at Ike’s Quarter Café, which is participating in this year’s Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge.



I had never been to Ike’s before, a restaurant serving New Orleans-style cuisine, and I was thrilled to see so many vegan options on the regular menu. But I was there for the Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge menu, so I reluctantly closed the regular menu.



There were four items listed on the special vegan menu: tofu frittata, gasserhouser (toast with a hole cut in it, which is filled with an egg substitute and then fried), spicy sprouted bean burger, and Caesar salad. I opted for the frittata, a mixture of tofu, spinach, dill, and vegan feta, topped with caramelized onions. Apparently, the frittatas at Ike’s are first sautéed in a pan and then baked. It was served with fresh fruit – apple, pear, plum, and banana – and a choice of bread. The bread choices were toast, biscuit (their biscuits are always vegan), or cornbread (they have both vegan and non-vegan cornbread). I chose the biscuit, which was perfect. Actually, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole meal!



I had been planning to just have iced tea to drink, but then I noticed that they had vegan shakes on their regular menu, in either chocolate or vanilla flavor. I ordered the chocolate shake, which was made with oat milk and chocolate coconut ice cream. It was wonderful! I foresee many return trips to Ike’s in my future!



Ike’s Quarter Café is located at 401 Commercial Street in Nevada City, and their phone number is 530-265-6138. Their website address is http://www.ikesquartercafe.com/, and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/ikesquartercafe/. The restaurant is open Thursday through Monday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. They are closed Tuesday and Wednesday.

No comments: